January 4, 2017
Emergency School Closings, Delays & Early Dismissals
When a decision is made to alter the schedule of Suffolk Public Schools because of weather conditions or other emergencies, detailed information will be provided in the following places:
- Television stations … WVEC-13, WAVY-10, WTKR-3 … and their websites
- School Messenger … Automated phone calls with a recorded message will begin calling the homes of students and staff. The numbers called are based on the contact information stored in the division’s database.
- SPS Website …www.spsk12.net
- SPS Facebook … www.facebook.com/SuffolkVAPublicSchools/
- A recorded message will be available after hours at 925-6750
Make-Up Days for 2016-2017
- The first two days missed will be covered by the extra instructional hours that are built into the school schedule.
- NOTE: These built-in hours have already been “claimed” when schools were closed on 9-22-16 and on 10-10-16.
- The next days missed could be made up on Presidents’ Day, February 20, 2017, and on March 15, 2017 (staff development day).
- Additional time missed will be made up by adding time to the instructional day.
Suffolk Public Schools will consider opening schools on a two-hour delay, due to inclement weather, hazardous conditions, power outages, or other emergency situations. Bus pick-ups for all students would begin either one hour or two hours later than normal pick-up times.
“Delayed Opening” means that any before-school child care will also open under the same delay. Elementary student early drop-off would be delayed until 10:30 a.m. Breakfast would not be served on either delayed opening schedule. Lunch would be served. Dismissal time and after-school activities would remain the same unless otherwise noted.
Elementary schools offering YMCA childcare will follow this revised schedule:
- On the mornings of school delays, the YMCA before-school program will open under the same delay. For example, if SPS has a 2 hour delay, buildings will open at 8:30 a.m. instead of 6:30 a.m. for the YMCA before school program.
- If schools dismiss early, the YMCA after-school program will remain open until 6 p.m.
- If schools are closed, there will be no YMCA childcare in those elementary schools. However, students enrolled in those school site programs can be brought to the main Suffolk YMCA on Godwin Boulevard at no additional cost.
Suffolk Parks & Recreation Department will announce changes to their schedule independently, since their centers are separate from the school building.